The National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) has denied claims that it presented only seven student mattresses to victims of last Sunday’s tidal waves attack in the Volta Region.

Deputy Director-General of NADMO, Seji Saji Amedonu said it is not true that officials would “carry seven mattresses all the way from Accra to the affected victims.”

The NADMO office has been criticized for not providing enough relief items to persons affected by the tidal waves disaster.

A member of the Keta Municipal Assembly had claimed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show on Wednesday that just seven mattresses were provided to the victims who had been rendered homeless.

But speaking to Emefa Apawu on JoyNews’ The Probe on Sunday, Mr. Amedonu explained that NADMO’s organizational setup is such that, even in the midst of a disaster, a response is being prepared.

“NADMO staff are deployed across Ghana, we have NADMO represented in every district and we have them in zones. So as the incident is unfolding, there is already what we would do,” he said.

Detailing how they responded to last week’s disaster, Seji Saji Amedonu said the plan was first to provide some form of relief to victims who had been moved to safe havens.

He insisted that by Tuesday, the districts affected by the disaster had received some forms of relief.

“In the particular example of Kedzikope, it was the community centre that was the safe haven. This is where we did the presentation of all the items we brought. We had a bigger truck behind us and we had a few items on the pickup. On that pickup were seven mattresses which were for a symbolic presentation but the bigger truck was full of items. At the end of the day, almost all the three districts had something that Tuesday. It could not be seven items,” Seji Saji Amedonu narrated.

Source: Myjoyonline.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *